|The Mad Hatters Tea Party|
A look back at some design classics.
The Chiavari chair
- Designed by Gaetano Descalzi in 1807.
- The Chiavari chair is named after the coastal Italian town of Chiavari from which the design of the chair originates.
- The chair is light, elegant, yet solid, and was originally made from cherrywood. Today the Chiavari chairs come in a variety of materials and finishes, from lightweight bamboo and beech wood to sturdier bronze and steel.
- Chiavari chairs are actually a type of chair known as a balloon-backed chairs. The design was based on the Louis XV panel-back side chair – without the back upholstery
CH24 wishbone chair
- Designed by the Danish designer Hans Wegner in 1949.
- Inspired by classical portraits of Danish merchants sitting in Ming chairs.
- Hans Wegner was part of the modernist school with an emphises on functionality.
- The wishbone chair is made of hardwood, ash or beach and natural cord caning.
- Made in Denmark by Carl Hansen & Son
- Available from The Conran Shop and at http://www.hivemodern.com/
- Designed by the Danish furniture designer Hans Wegner in 1963.
- Wegner was part of the modernist design movement.
- Made from pressed plywood and upolstery.
- Made in Denmark by Carl Hansen & Son.
- Available from http://www.hivemodern.com/ and The Lost Weekend, Blackrock village, Dublin.
Saarinen tulip side chair - white
- Designed by Eero Saarinen in 1956
- He designed the 1956 Tulip chair in terms of its setting, rather than a particular shape. "In any design problem, one should seek the solution in terms of the next largest thing." he said. "If the problem is a chair, then its solution must be found in the way it relates to the room..." In the Tulip, Saarinen realized his ideal of formal unity: "Every significant piece of furniture has a holistic structure."
- Part of the American post war design movement.
- Made from aluminum (base), fiberglass and upholstery.
- Made in the USA by Knoll.
- $1,150.00 from http://www.hivemodern.com/ and the Conran Shop.
Eames molded dining chair - dcw
- Design by Charles & Ray Eames in 1946.
- Made from molded plywood, metal or wood legs.
- Designed to comfortably fit the body.
- Made by Herman Miller
- "Who would say that pleasure is not useful?" -Charles Eames
- Available from the Conran Shop and http://www.hivemodern.com/
A Look at the present!
Emeco kong side chair
- Design Philippe Starck, 2002
- Thermal treated aluminum
- Made in USA by Emeco
No 14 Bistro Chair
Although the bistro chair has been around since 1859 this is a newly updated design with its red finish.
Available from the Conran Shop.
- Designed by Jasper Morrison in 2008
- Beech, dyed ASA plastic
- Made in Germany by Vitra
- Available from http://www.hivemodern.com/
- Conde deep buttoned wing chair
- The chair to grace a stately home with swarovski crystal buttoning and 160cm high
- Made in Barcelona, Spain. by Dentro Home http://www.dentrohome.com/
Boca do Lobo Tiffany Stool
- Designed by Artesãos de Boca do Lobo
- Manufacured in Rio de Tinto in Portugal by Boca do Lobo
- Wood: Solid oak or mahogany
- Finish: Natural with a protective coat, high gloss varnish,or a dark wood stain.
- Price: $1,440.00
- Design by Dutch furniture designer Maarten Baas in 2002
- Made from burnt wood, epoxy resin and leather
- Made in the Netherlands by Moooi
- Design by Philippe Starck in 2002.
- Made from injection-molded polycarbonate.
- Made in Italy by Kartell.
- Available at http://www.hivemoder.com/ and the Conran Shop Arnotts Dublin.
Re-interpritation of the French Chair
LOUIS XV French Medallion Back Occasional Chair - Gold and Black Velvetboth from www.roomservicestore.com
Cannes Chair in Pink Punch Faux Leather, Lemon Drop Yellow Faux Leather and Bubble Gum Blue Tufted Velvet.
$1,295 each from www.roomservicestore.com
Punch Pink St. Tropez High Back Chair
White Ballon Chair
Glossy white patent faux leather upholstery and glossy white lacquer carved frame.
$1,695 from www.roomservicestore.com
Some Eclectic Interiors
|The Dylan Hotel Dublin|
|Atlier Abigale Ahern|